Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Nativity

We were at my mother-in-law's house, decorating her Christmas tree on the weekend. She's been a widow now for more than 20 years, and I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring over all of my loud, rambunctious children to her quiet house to assist with decking the halls.

Anyhow, I was amazed at the ornaments she had, still in the original boxes, from 30+ years ago. Browned, faded cardboard boxes from department stores that had long since closed down. I imagined each year, she would lovingly replace each ornament in the exact right place in the exact right box that it was purchased in. I wondered if she she still remembered buying those ornaments when her children were young.

Anyhow, at the bottom of a box, lovingly wrapped, I located her nativity set. I put the stable on a small endtable and proceeded to unwrap all of the figures and animals, my 5-year old son assisting. When we were done, all the figures were posed in a perfect tableau, so that you could see every one of their faces as they all looked out peacefully over the livingroom.

"How does it look?" I asked Joey.

He stared at the nativity scene pensively. And before I could stop him, he started moving and rearranging all of the figures.

"Joey, just leave it alone!" I begged.

"No, mommy, wait." He said, putting the finishing touches on his creation. When he stepped away, all the figures were turned, their backs to the livingroom.

"What did you do that for?" I exclaimed angrily. "I had them all perfect!"

"But Mommy," he said in a small voice, "shouldn't they all be watching baby Jesus?"

7 Comments:

At 10:08 AM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You have one really, really smart kid there. Out of the mouths of babes.

Isn't it amazing how we get caught up in our lives and forget what's real?

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Rainypete said...

That's why I prefer children to grownups. They aren't all hung up on their own little ideas. Good job Joey!

 
At 2:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that is telling you! Like motherkitty saidy, you have one very smart kid there. I never really thought of it before but he is right - who else goes to visit a new baby and doesn't watch the baby?

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

That story gave me shivers. He is an incredible child, your Joey.

 
At 2:41 AM , Blogger Alipurr said...

ok now that made me cry.

my girls love to play with our nativity set, too

merry christmas. may it be calm and peaceful and full of love

 
At 12:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what clarity of vision your son has. Truly an amazing boy you have there.

What a lovingly described nostalgic look at the old ornaments. It reminds me of my mother's and my grandmother's ornaments, where the glass ornaments are starting to cloud or have lost most of their glitter, or some/all of their box-mates have been broken over the years. I love to hang those ornaments on my mother's tree (though it's been years) and they bring back all sorts of good memories from the past.

-velvet

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger Jiffy-Pop said...

Wow, talk about your smart kids! Way to go, Joey! You're the man! *HIGH FIVE* I know your mom is VERY proud of you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home