Saturday, November 25, 2006

Swimming with the Fishes

So, big confession time kids.

I just got a HUGE new job (promotion) at work. I actually have been going through the process of soul-searching, and then applying, and then waiting, and then interviewing, and then waiting some more and then finding out the results. And this week past was my first week in the new role. It's been a very stressful time, with a lot of soul-searching, and heart-wrenching questions such as: "What do I want to do with my life?" "Is this the right thing for me and my family?" "Is my life over if I make the wrong decision?" "Is this the road to ruin?" And I have been going through OVER a month of this. And was I able to adequately answer any of these questions?

No.

So if anyone has noticed the morose quality to my musings lately, that would be why.

So here I am, little fish in a big pond again, and I'm not sure where my head and my ass are, and the sharks are circling, but as Dory from 'Finding Nemo' says, "just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."

I came across this today:



It felt totally appropriate to what I have been through, and it gave me a little boost. Along with the picture, I read this:

"The natural immediate response to criticism is to feel discouraged and unhappy. However, as with failure, criticism has a very positive side. If you are being criticised it may well be an indication that you have taken a risk and chosen to tackle something which is a challenge to you. Receiving such criticism may be infinitely preferable to being praised for something which is simple and predictable."

*sigh* That's me all right.

6 Comments:

At 12:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before ... I'll say it again ... and again and again until I can't say it anymore. Mostly because I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself of this truth.

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived." (Strictly Ballroom)

And the Franny I know does not back away in fear :)

Besides we are not deemed a failure for falling rather for not getting back up! So it seems that Dory was right ... just keep swimming.

 
At 4:29 PM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

Hang in there Franny!

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

Congratulations on the huge, big promotion. As with any job, you must develop thick skin and maintain your beliefs in doing the correct/right thing according to your ethics. To do nothing, to say nothing, and to be nothing is not the way to live your life.

So, if you are going to swim with the fishes, you must learn to let the water slide off your back like a duck.

Keep up your spirits!

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Good for you for getting a promotion. Obviously someone has placed their faith in you. You took a risk by accepting your promotion. I've always felt that taking a risk was an opportunity to learn something new. If I make a mistake, I try to analyze what the mistake was, why did it happen and how could I have prevented it. The next time you will do it better. If you're afraid of failure, then you are also afraid of success. Now what fun would that be?

 
At 4:15 PM , Blogger Alipurr said...

congrats on the new job/promotion. You will do great!

it is natural to second guess yourself

 
At 12:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on that job promotion. Soul-searching is indeed a journey that will be as fulfilling as you choose it to be. As you focus on the positive sides of where you are and how you feel, you'll find that's more productive than succombing to sparks of self-doubt. Why waste your precious energy? Look ahead instead. We're always swimming somewhere...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home