Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Goddess of Music

I just had my guitar re-strung. I really missed "Sammie-Jo" while she was at the music shop, especially since there was this AWESOME song I was desperate to try out. When I got her back, they had lost all my guitar picks, so I improvised and actually made my own pick using a margerine container lid cut to the right shape. And then I grabbed Sammie-Jo, and played "Goodbye My Lover" by James Blunt totally by ear.

It was pure magic.

I got it right, right off the bat. The sound was heavenly, by far the best sound I had ever achieved, (with a margerine-lid pick no less!!) I have been sneaking guitar time all day today. My hubby caught me fresh out of the shower strumming. He smiled and let me be, even though I should have been helping him with the kids.

It's been a musical day in general. In the car this morning, I heard the song "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. It was a big song (think hyper punk sound) in my bar days, and I was bopping and blasting the music on the drive in.

Then, when I reached work, I stumbled across "Canon in D" by Pachebel on the radio. It was my wedding march and still mesmerizes me whenever I hear it. Funny how I went from punk-rock to soothing classical in less than 5 minutes. I enjoyed both immensely!

Today I will have 30 mins between ending work and picking up the kids. I think Sammie-Jo and I are going to share some quality time.

Music is a language which the soul alone understands, but which the soul can never translate. ~Arnold Bennett

6 Comments:

At 3:11 PM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

Ecclectic!

I love Canon in D. Glad you got your guitar back from the shop.

 
At 12:28 PM , Blogger Magdalena said...

I think that James Blunt is great!! I am so proud of you for playing his song by ear!!

We had Canon in D at our wedding to, for the bridal party processional ... and I love that song. But I think that it is a great song for non-wedding occassions too, so I like listening to it whenever. It is great for moments when you want to be inspired, I think :)

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger Jiffy-Pop said...

Ya know, without knowing it, you just fulfilled purpose #5 of the Sinfonian creed: TO INSTILL IN ALL PEOPLE AN AWARENESS OF MUSIC'S IMPORTANT ROLE IN THE ENRICHMENT OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT. Bravo! And by the way, going from Punk to Classical just demonstrates both your wide range of musical interests, and your excellent taste in music.

 
At 1:58 AM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

I love that James Blunt song (and that's despite it being completely over-played on the radio here). I would have loved to hear you play it...and by ear too! - fantastic!

 
At 5:36 AM , Blogger thisisme said...

I love the music of the James Blunt song, but have to admit that I can't stand listening to his voice, so listening to you play it would have been perfect. Well done!I've had music on my mind a lot this week, so this post was perfect for me to read. Thanks!

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Perhaps being the webmaster that you are you can honor us with a music video. We'd love to hear you play.
Paleeese...don't make me beg now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home