Monday, October 23, 2006

Ooh, It's Magic

With great power comes great responsibility...and parenting is no different. Mothers (and fathers) hold in their hands the welfare, the beliefs, the very souls of the future generation.

Which is why I like to MESS with my kids' minds every so often.

By total serendipity, I recently came into the possesion of a "magic wand". As they say, the wand chooses the wizard, and the one that chose me is Walnut wood, the wand of intuition and divination. (Yes, I know this is not real, but *sigh*, too many Harry Potter books.) And when I say the wand found me, I mean it. After a long talk about our favourite books, this person I had just met placed it in my hands saying "I have an extra wand, do you want it?" Ooooh, coooool....

Anyhow, I was showing it off to my hubby, and the kids were teeming with questions, so, I gave them a demonstration. I hid the remote under my lap, and then proceeded to change channels on the TV with my wand by uttering the incantation "Change Channel!" They were jumping around screaming with glee, and then I uttered the incantation "Shut Off" and the TV shut 'itself' off. We did on/off several times, and my oldest asked me to do more 'magic'. So I said, "Watch this." I pointed the wand at the kids and uttered "Jump up and down!"

AND THEY DID!

It was totally awesome! I made my daughter's hair 'grow' (she was beaming and twirling), made my son meow (he really did it), and then came the REAL challenge:

Joey: Mommy, make the TV disappear!!!

Me: Umm....umm...daddy? *desperate glance* Joey wants me to make the TV disappear...

Daddy: Ummm...no, sorry kids, very expensive piece of electronics, wouldn't want to misplace that!

Joey: Ok...*mischevious glance* Make the twins disappear! Here, I'll do it! *lunges for wand*

Me: Oh no you don't! That's not nice to do to your brother and sister! But I can make YOU disappear! *points wand at kid threateningly*

Joey: Eeek! *takes off at a run*

Daddy: Ha ha ha, it worked!

After that, I had to hide the wand because it was like having a weapon in the house, with each kid trying to get a hold of it to vanish each other or to command their sibling to hand over their cookies. Also, there was the more likely possibility of the "poke out an eye with a pointy object" hex taking place.

Later that night, when the excitement had died down, Joey came up to me and asked, in all seriousness. "Mommy, is there really such thing as magic?"

I smiled and said "Well, do you think there is?"

He didn't answer for a few moments as he considered my question. "I don't know." He replied. "But I hope there is."

Me too, Joey. Me too.

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM , Blogger Magdalena said...

I hope so too :)

Of course, in moments like the one you just had it is hard to imagine that magic isn't real!

I believe!

 
At 5:28 AM , Blogger thisisme said...

Oh, the power! I'm sure you will continue to use it wisely :)

Thanks for adding me

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

Of course, there's magic, and you made it that day. I hope, for Joey's sake, that he believes there is magic left in this life because otherwise all the fairies would disappear and Harry Potter would be screwed.

(Some kids ask simple things, like where do I come from. Only your kids inquire about esoteric things like magic.)

 
At 11:15 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

It's fun being imaginative and playing along with the kids. It's magical.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home