Monday, November 27, 2006

Healer of Small Things

We had the neighborhood kids in our backyard yesterday, and they tore the place apart, as excited kids often do. I sat on the parkbench watching as they "flew" the kite (tearing tree branches when it got caught), kicked the ball into the soccer net (smashing the surrounding vegetation), sent things down the slide (dismantling the lawn ornaments - wheee!) and used a toy shovel to dig (sending mulch flying everywhere). Did I stop them? Umm, no. I recognize a losing battle when I see one, and it is the fall, so everything must die anyways. At least this way, it was quick and entertaining.

After the hoarde of child barbarians moved on to the next destructive task, I noticed my 2 1/2 year old son Nicky, trailing in their wake. The hoarde had just dismantled these decorative garden stakes with blue reflective orbs on them using a loud and annoying electronic grabber-toy. When the kids moved on, Nicky, with tiny, careful hands, fished the orbs out of the bushes, and placed each one carefully back upon it's stake. One after the other he reassembled all six of them, unaware that his mommmy was watching him in stunned silence.

"Thank you Nicky." I said, when he was done.

He smiled shyly and ran away.

I love you Nicky, my precious one. You're mommy's healer of small things.

10 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Blogger JOY said...

That is what kids are for I guess! They seem to enjoy wrecking, but it would be alot worse if they couldn't.

love the blog

www.limavady2dubai.blogspot.com

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

Mother, you are blessed.

 
At 3:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooooo cute - nice work Nicky!!

 
At 11:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story! Nicky sounds like such a thoughtful boy.

It's moments like those that are the sweet treats in parenthood.

Thanks for the link, by the way! I'm going to add you to mine, too.

 
At 2:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! As always!

 
At 4:20 PM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

What a sweetheart he is!

 
At 2:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) hi franny
thanks for your comment in my blog.
if you don't mind, i'd like to put your blog in my link.



sincerely


rike

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger bornfool said...

That was very touching. Well writte as always.

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Nikki is such a sweet child Franny. Those little blessings are the very best.

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Alipurr said...

ok that was so sweet, made me cry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home