Friday, December 29, 2006

(Black and) Blue Christmas

I am so proud! I had a black eye for Christmas! I have never had a black eye before, but this shiner shone brighter than all the lights on our street. Besides having to explain to everyone that I am NOT an abused wife*, we had a lovely holiday. My family came over for breakfast on Christmas morning, and we did all the family stuff, played games (my dad even joined in), told some jokes, sang some songs...in short, I was the life of the party, which is how it should be.

I was absolutely spoiled rotten with gifts this year, but I think we overdid it all around. That's okay, the Mastercard fairy will be pleased with us.

And just in case you're wondering (I know you are!!!), the black eye was courtesy of my son Nicky. In a moment of overwhelming affection, he ran towards me and drilled me with his head, right in the cheekbone**. Now that really friggin HURT but I had no idea that cheekbone injury = black eye, so when I told my hubby I would likely get a black eye because it hurt so much, I was JOKING. But just like how I was JOKING when I told my sister I was in labour with my first child, it turned out to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyhow, the head ramming incident was more than a week ago, and my eye still looks (and feels) awful. It's now purple with a touch of yellow around the edges. I enjoy waking up every morning and hearing my hubby ooh and ahh at the new and exciting colours of my face.

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday too!

* Q: How do you know if Franny's been abused?
  A:
Her husband's in intensive care!

** Nicky was not injured. He apparently has a head made of cinderblock.

7 Comments:

At 9:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a black eye for my first day of kindergarten. Unfortunately, I had yet to develop that nuanced taste for the subtle color changes, and I didn't quite appreciate the kind of attention that came with my mark.

 
At 10:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I'll bet that has made for some great photos from this Christmas - the kids will be telling stories about your eye for years. I'm glad to hear you all had a great Christmas though.

 
At 1:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! How do you accessorize to match a shiner like that when it's always changing color? What a daily challenge.

Glad that Nicky's head was unharmed. I'm glad that you had a good Christmas and hope that you have a good New Year, too!

-velvet

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Jiffy-Pop said...

That'll teach ya to predict the future! 3rd time is the charm, ya know. Next time, it will probably be something BIG. haha.

But seriously, hope your eye gets better soon. Merry Christmas!! And Happy New Year!!!

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger Alipurr said...

my goodness, glad you are recovering quickly and can find humor in the situation. Not much else to do at this point. Glad your son is ok, too. Plus, it does make a really good post.It is very silly, now, when I sit down with my parents. Someone will be talking about something, and someone else will say, Hey, you should blog about that! Never thought we'd have conversations like that. ha ha
merry Christmas and happy new year

 
At 5:24 AM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

Ah, the old 'my son ran into me' story. Sure, sure. You fell asleep at breakfast and hit your eye on the cereal bowl, DIDN'T YOU?!

Franny, I want to wish you a glorious New Year. I hope it brings you joy and fulfilment.

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger Rainypete said...

What is it with affectionate children and high velocity craniums. My daughter has taken running towards em for a hug when I get home from work and due to her specific height at this time I have learned to quickly turn my hip to avoid collapsing from her love!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home