Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sweet Rabbit

Easter always reminds me of a time at the old bookstore. Mark and I and our always generous, congenial boss were moving an octogonal display unit that must've weighed 1000 lbs with all the books on it. Naturally, we didn't take the books off, but carried/dragged this sucker all the way down the center aisle. (This was before we had kids and hernias and grey hair.)

Anyhow, it was around Easter, and we were joking about how politically correct/non-religious our Easter decorations were. I vividly remember Mark grabbing a stuffed bunny from the top of this unit and shaking it and shouting at it "Did you die on the cross for us? Did you die for our sins? Huh, did you?"

I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life!

Now, I may not have all the details correct - but that situation is so alive in my memory, its like it just happened! Even 9 years later my husband and I joke regularly about 'bunnies on the cross' come Easter time.

Now that little drama was funny because it was just damn funny, but it was also funny because it was true. Like Jon Stewart is funny because he ain't lying about the news.

Anyhow, this year I'm giving my kids chocolate eggs and bubbles in a basket. (Ok, I was GOING TO give them chocolate eggs but there was an accident where they unwrapped themselves and 'fell' into my mouth. And I wasted a whole bottle of bubbles blowing them into the bathtub for my own amusement.) Ha ha, wouldn't it be funny if the kids woke up to empty easter baskets on Easter morning?

Yeah, you're right, that's mean.

Anyhow, Happy Easter to you and your families, whatever your religion or beliefs. I think as long as you feel a deeper meaning in your heart, then Easter is alive and well.

Oh, and may the bunny bless you all.

4 Comments:

At 6:37 AM , Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Franny - nice accidents with the kids gifts.

LOL - I actually don't remember the bunny-shaking incident, so thanks for making me laugh. Perhaps I blocked it for fear that Mister Bunny would find out about it. (BTW, I had already had a hernia by that time - remember I'm older than you)

Easter blessings to you and all of the bunnies in your home.

 
At 2:59 PM , Blogger bornfool said...

Happy Easter, Franny. Is the bunny the reason for the season?

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

I had to grin at the bunny-shaking story!

Also, I ate my children's chocolate bunnies, too. But I do have an excuse - two days before Easter Sunday, my mother gave them the exact bunnies I'd already purchased. I thought my kids might get suspicious that the Easter bunny was a fraud if they received identical rabbits two days later. So I bought new eggs. And ate the rabbits. CHOMP.

Happy Easter Franny!

 
At 5:00 AM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Shame on you Jelly!!!

(I say those words as I'm hiding a chocolate bunny behind my back, hoping the kids won't notice it's gone).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home