Monday, March 20, 2006

Life by Airplane

We are going away. Like, on a vacation. We just booked a flight, for the whole family, to fly out to the Maritimes for 2 weeks this summer.

Have I just condemned my family to trauma by airplane?

Or have I just taken a wild step into the world of travel adventures?

Hmmm...let's go with the latter. As my friend Magda says, the pilot doesn't want to die either!

Actually, I do have all of YOU to thank. Yes, you, my readers. You see, making blog buddies throughout the world has really shown me just how small, and how big, this world is. How much there is to see. How much there is to do. The biggest surprise has been that there are so many normal people out there with the same hopes and fears and insecurities as me!

So off we go!

I am inspired by the fearless travels of "Sandy", who has turned motorcycling into a family passion. She's the kind of gutsy female that would never let two tempermental toddlers and a vocal 4-yr-old stop her!

Or Magda, who has followed her destiny all the way to the heart of southeast Texas, not to mention Russia just a few short years ago.

Not to mention countless others that have left for adventure in a new place, regardless of the challenges they face.

I have always wanted to see the Canadian Maritimes - I think the ocean is drawing me, like the Rockies did for my honeymoon. We're going to walk on the ocean floor on the Bay of Fundy. Visit the home of Anne of Green Gables. Celebrate in Charlottetown, the birthplace of Canada. Party on at the Shediac Lobsterfest! Have a ceilidh at sea.

But at the very least, I want to watch the kids cringe at the taste of seawater. Show them seals for the first time. Let them run around with icecream all over their faces. Cuddle up together in one big bed in one tiny hotel room.

I expect that sometimes during the trip, the kids will be wild and insufferable, and drive us totally nuts. My husband and I will look at each other in exasperation and say: "what did we do this for?"

But I hope the answer will show itself time and again.

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM , Blogger bornfool said...

You'll have a great time. i wrote yesterday about getting a new passport because I'm taking a little trip to Russia myself this summer.
One word for the kids: Dramamine> (Just kidding)

 
At 11:02 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Franny...You're going to have a great time visiting the Canadian Maritimes. I clicked on the link you provided and it looks georgeous and a place I would love to visit.

Please, please, please take lots of pictures. I know you don't normally show us any pictures but you can show some with your backs to us, or the scenery or whatever.

Take some pictures of strangers to post...Wouldn't it be funny if they logged onto your blog by accident and saw themselves.

You won't regret taking the kids, but you would regret not taking them...believe me I know.

I hope that you finally get to see that elusive moose that you have been dying to see.

And speaking of dying, I'm glad you're back...I was getting ready to send the sheriff out looking for you.

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger Magdalena said...

Please oh, please take some good pictures of Anne's house for me while you are there!! I am so envious that you get to see that! And I know that you will have a fabulous time! Still wish you were coming to Texas though :) Maybe once you get infected with the travelling bug though we will see "y'all" down here before too long!

You know the thing about taking the plunge, is that often times you just have to make yourself jump. You know, like when you were a kid and you were standing on the diving board looking down at the water and even though you knew how to swim you were suddenly afraid? And there was a line of kids behind you and you would be so scared that you would let some of them go in front of you and watch them take a running start and jump gleefully into the water. And you would think to yourself, well, if they can do it why can't I? And you would finally make your way to the end of board, close your eyes and literally force yourself to jump. And what a great feeling to feel yourself glide into the water and see that you had made it, and even had some fun. Maybe that is just what it was like for me, I was the kid at the end of the diving board. BUT, the truth is no matter where you stand, fear can be a most powerful force if you let it be. Remember : "A life lived in fear is a life half lived" ... so I am very excited that you are taking the trip ... and I can't wait to hear about all of the wonderful stories that come out of it!

 
At 11:21 PM , Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Congrats on what is sure to be an awesome family vacation.

I know I'm going to enjoy reading your humourous slant on the festivities that ensue. And I'm sure I'm not the only one

 
At 11:46 PM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

I'm so envious. A family vacation to a fabulous location. Everything you have planned sounds wonderful and we look forward to your tales and pictures. Have so much fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home