Sunday, April 16, 2006

It Takes a Village

Those of you who read "Small Glories" (scroll down) might appreciate this update...I saw my 13-yr old neighbor outside (the one who I suspected of smoking) and called him over. It went something like this:

Me: Hey 'Shawn', that wasn't you I saw the other day smoking was it? Because you wouldn't do something like that, would you?

Shawn: No...I wouldn't do that...

Me:
Good. Because it looked a lot like you and I was really worried. Smoking is SO bad for you.

Shawn: Umm...maybe you saw my older sister? We kinda look alike...and she smokes.

Me: Oh she does? Well, I'm so sorry I mistook you two. But man, you should tell her to quit, tell her its not good. I know so many people who got sick...

Shawn: Ok.

At this point his mother pulled up the driveway and I waved nervously and quickly walked away. I guess I thought I was done for! A mother catching another mother scolding HER son!?

Anyhow, the next day I saw his mom outside and I apologetically confessed everything. And do you know what she did.......?
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
She THANKED ME! Profusely! She said it was truly wonderful that we were cultivating a "village" mentality... that in her home country, everyone looked out for the kids whether they were theirs or not... that sometimes the "humilation" works better than all the scolding in the world! I felt so rewarded, so vindicated, so...happy! Though we both agreed that it was a case of mistaken identity, (she is aware that her daughter smokes and wants her to quit) she admitted that she hoped my 2 cents would help in the long run. BTW, her son had not told her the topic of our discussion, possibly because he was embarassed????

Anyhow, I told her I hoped she would do the same for me and my kids if ever she saw them in trouble. She was all teary-eyed. It was such a Hallmark moment!

It's good to know we're looking out for each other, especially with an escape-artist in the house...

5 Comments:

At 11:42 PM , Blogger Magdalena said...

Wow, what an encouraging story! You really handled that well. You're awesome Franny!!

 
At 4:56 AM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Awesome Franny, awesome...you did good and I wish more people would approach kids when they see them doing something harmful to themselves or to others. Great job Franny.

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Mark Leslie said...

You're not only an awesome Mommy, but you're an awesome Mommy to the neighbourhood.

Hmm, maybe Fran and I can move closer so that when Alexander gets a bit older and starts getting into trouble, we can count on you to help keep an eye on him.....

 
At 5:31 PM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

What a happy story!

It's so hard, isn't it, to work out how involved to get with others. You want to help, but you don't want to offend or interfere. Sounds like you walked the line with great skill and aplomb!

 
At 12:47 AM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I have tagged you for a meme (sorry). Details are on my blog. But only participate if you want to (though I love them, I feel bad forcing meme's onto others...).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home