Saturday, June 24, 2006

Eulogy for a Good Cake, a Kind Cake

Today is our 6th wedding anniversary, and it wasn't your typical anniversary. There was no fine dinner, no jewelry or expensive gifts, no long-stemmed roses. Since no one was able to babysit for us, we did yardwork all day and then ordered in pizza. Just when I thought the day was a bit of a loss, my husband surprises me with a replica of the top of our wedding cake - same flavour, icing, decorations, baker, etc. (collective *awwws*) Then, after the kids went to bed, we had our cake and wine in the backyard under the stars/streetlights. There were even fireflies!

Anyhow, back to the cake, it was very difficult for us to cut because it was just so pretty! We kept hesitating with the knife...someone worked so hard on this...wow, its so nice...why are we doing this again? It was the same on our actual wedding day, but at that time we had the photographer impatiently tapping her foot and the peer pressure from all the people standing around us, so we got it done. This time, it was just us. We stared at that cake for 5-6 mins before we ventured a cut. Oh, and it tasted the same too!

In fact, you know how you're supposed to keep some cake for your 1-yr anniversary? Well, we still have ours...the original top of the cake. Yes, its been in our freezer, taking up a lot of space, for 6 years. You see, on our 1-yr anniversary, I was pregnant and throwing up all the time -- you can see how 1-yr old cake did not appeal, no matter how "sentimental". At two years, we wanted to eat it even less. Three years, four, etc...it just ain't getting any better. But again, we can't bring ourselves to throw it out. You see, its no longer just a cake.

Now it's a LEGACY.

To throw it out would be to say that it has no value, that its worthless. So Cat & I were talking about this dilemma while enjoying the new, replica cake, and we came up with a solution.

We are going to bury the cake.

And we are gonna plant 3 little trees on top of it, one for each of the kids.

I am not sure if 6-year old frozen chocolate-amaretto cake with rolled almond fondant icing will make good fertilizer, but we are gonna find out. If the trees thrive, they can carry on the legacy. If not, well, we'll just be glad we didn't eat the darn 6-yr old cake.

4 Comments:

At 3:41 AM , Blogger Magdalena said...

That sounds like a great way to continue the cake legacy!!

Sadly, our infamously screwed up wedding cake was lost in the hurricane when the power went out and we lost all of the food in our freezer. And with our one year anniversary quickly approaching I am jealous of every nice looking wedding cake that I see. I know, I know, it's just a cake.

But now yours sounds so yummy all over again that I think I am going to give myself a WHOLE wedding cake for our first year anniversary, just so that I can actually have the pleasure of eating a "good" and finished wedding cake.

Send us a picture when you plant the trees!

 
At 7:25 PM , Blogger bornfool said...

I don't think I could bury it, but I couldn't eat it either. lol. Now that I think of it, my first wife and I had a piece saved and we never ate it. I guess she got custody of it.

 
At 1:30 PM , Blogger MrsGreenThumb said...

Advice from a Master gardener- cut the cake in thirds, put the trees far enough apart so they won't interfere with each other when they are grown. Then put 1/3 of the cake in the bottom of each hole and cover it with some dirt. By the time the roots get to it, it will have decomposed. It won't hurt the trees.
I think that's a wonderful legacy to leave your children. I hope you pick a long lived variety.

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy anniversary to you two, on six happy years.

Guess what?
You aren't the only ones that still have your cake in the freezer...Yes, we do to and it surely isn't fit to eat, but I can't bear to throw it out...I'm sure it's petrified like a rock by now.

Your idea of burying it sounds like a winner to me and I just had a thought! (light bulb moment)...We can use our cake to kill the moles in our yard...as I'm sure it must be contaminated with salmonella by now.*ROFLMAO*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home