Monday, July 24, 2006

Inspired by Children's Books

If you're a duck in a truck that's stuck in the muck, can you really say "Oh QUACK!"???

"Duck in a Truck" is a real book that my kids like, and every time I hear my husband reading it, my silliness takes over. When I hear about the Frog on a Log, I giggle. Children's books do that though. They take you back...

I remember vividly in Grade 2, we had this chart on the wall, and every time you remembered your gym shoes, you got a sticker. Well, I forgot my shoes a couple of times and cried because I screwed up. The teacher's assistant saw me, and comforted me, and said not to worry. At the end of the year, they gave out a prize for the person who had the most stickers, and I won - every sticker space had been filled in for me, giving me a perfect score. To this day, I believe it was Ms. Nicosia (sp?), the teacher's assistant, who did that for me.

I wonder if she put those stickers in because I was from a poor family with too many kids? Because she saw a bit of herself in me? Because I was quiet and scared? Because someone had been kind to her when she was afraid as a child?

I unwrapped the precious prize, and it was a copy of Green Eggs and Ham. That book meant more to me than any other prize/award/gift I have ever recieved in my whole life. The book is long gone, but the memory of that random kindness has stuck with me all these years. I have often thought of trying to find her again, to let her know, to say thank you...but I have no idea how to spell her name, and the school closed down that year. But I'll remember her smooth raven hair and large round glasses for as long as I live.

I'll remember her kindness.

And I will pay it forward.

6 Comments:

At 1:15 AM , Blogger Motherkitty said...

What a beautiful, sweet story. I'm sure your old teacher's assistant knew what she was doing when she filled in the blanks. She knew you were at the crossroads and she put you on the right path. Now you will never forget her kindness, you have become a better person for her gesture, and you will indeed pay it forward. Some lucky person will probably remember you in later years.

Your children, of course, are benefitting from your love of books. You are such a good mother. Aren't they the lucky ones!

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I love the pay it forward concept...it's like my brother's stand up for peace concept...If we all did this what a better kinder world we would live in.

 
At 1:35 AM , Blogger Jellyhead said...

I love reading your posts - so often they make me really think. This time you've got me thinking about doing more of those small things that make others' lives that much better.
You're a goodwill ambassador, Franny!

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger bornfool said...

I'm very thankful for the children's books that I read and that were read to me. They're the reason I love reading and writing today. I tried to instill that love of reading in my kids. I'm not sure it worked. lol.

 
At 7:31 AM , Blogger Alipurr said...

My favorite was the ABC book. My girls like the Foot Book, and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

You have been chosen :) for a 5 things meme.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Mark Leslie said...

Looks like you thanked her and anyone else who did like she did (anyone who stumbles upon this post will recognize the difference it made) -- that and the fact that you want to pay it forward and can touch someone else's life in that same way. Kudos for you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home