Monday, September 19, 2005

Determination vs. Fuckit

I believe that nothing is impossible if you set your mind to it. But, I also realize that there are some things not worth setting your mind to, cuz you'll just get your ass kicked. Yes, I have learned the difference between optimism and stupidity. (It's a very, VERY fine line.) Allow me to demonstrate:

Optimistic: "I am gonna get that promotion even though I accidentally sent that personal email about my wild weekend to my boss."
Stupid: "I am gonna get that promotion even though I accidentally sent that personal email about my boss' b.o. to my boss."

Optimistic: "My children are just going through a 'phase'."
Stupid: "Your Honor, my children are just going through a 'phase'."

See what I mean? Now, to make matters worse, you can be both optimistic and stupid at the same time. Some people call this "naivete". And similar, but not the same as "being naive" is "living in La-La Land". (Also a very fine line.) Here's the difference:

Naive: "My fiance is out all night, gets phonecalls from strange women, and comes home smelling like Chanel No. 5, but I trust him 100%!"
La-La Land: "My fiance is out all night, gets phonecalls from strange women, and comes home smelling like Chanel No. 5, but he's just getting it out of his system so he can be faithful once we're married!"


Naive: "Maybe these gigantic sharks that are circling us only eat plankton..."
La-La Land: "Maybe these gigantic sharks that are circling us only eat plankton, but wouldn't it be cool if they were just like that shark from that movie about the giant shark? What was that movie called, do you remember? Help me out, I'm drawing a blank here. You know that movie we saw with---JESUS CHRIST! NO! NO! OW! ARGH! ARGHHHHHHHH!" (water turns red, bubbles)
Naive: "Jaws."

So, naivete is a preference for denial, whereas La-La Land accepts the truth, but with "spin".

Yes, this is complicated.

Let me make this simple for you and for myself.

Basically, if it LOOKS like your ass is kicked...if it FEELS like your ass is kicked...if it TASTES like your ass is kicked (ew)...your ass is kicked.

Go get the icepack, and set your mind to something else.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 PM , Blogger Magdalena said...

Well ... amen to that!! Down with La-La Land!

 
At 12:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it smells like it, tastes like it....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home